Design Life: Red Brick Redo: Entry Hall + Living Room Reveal! (Ep. 96)
The time is NOW to reveal the first two completed makeovers at our Red Brick Redo project! Step inside the front door and let me show how we took these blank slate interiors and turned them into a cozy + colourful living space paired with a moody-hued entry in this historic home for a mom and her two kids. Take note, because you’re about to get the 411 on decorating and embracing the quirks of an older home, being fearless about mixing both cheery and dramatic hues, tackling furniture placement in an oddly shaped room, creating storage where none exists and SO. MUCH. MORE. Press play to watch this juicy, jam-packed new episode of my Design Life!
9 Top Takeaway Tips: Entry Hall + Living Room
1. Paint architectural elements a uniform colour to highlight character and disguise imperfections.
2. Embrace a two tone paint combination if your stairs are even and level.
3. Multiple drawers in the entryway makes storage easy to organize.
4. Contemporary light fixtures can serve as statement pieces in historical homes.
5. An asymmetrical fixture detracts attention from an asymmetrical space.
6. Create multiple furniture groupings to break up a long, narrow space.
7. Start with a multi-coloured accent fabric as a jumping off point for your entire colour scheme.
8. Furniture pieces with doors, drawers and shelves helps control clutter.
9. Place dark-toned furniture opposite each other to create balance and anchor the space.
Get The Look
Sarah Richardson for Palliser: Facet Cloud Wool Rug, Annex Storage Hexagonal Cocktail Table, Annex Round End Table, Shore Open Credenza, Shore Floor Mirror, Annex Lemongrass Plaza Chair, Boulevard Pedestal Dining Table, sofas, chairs, ottomans | Circa Lighting: Nodes Large Linear Chandelier by Kelly Wearstler | Canvas Gallery: artwork by Cobie Cruz and Geraldine Gillingham | IKEA: floor lamps | Primavera: Holly Hunt Watercolored: Pop of Turq, SKU: 2250/01 pillow fabric | Tonic Living: drapery fabric and pillows, 20x20 in Mason Velvet Lakeland Blue & Valentina Velvet Lagoon | Martha Sturdy: lamps | Elte Mkt: Ribbed Handblown Glass Vase | West Elm: grey vase